Cycle 360 is proud to announce the launch of its unique Supported Athlete Programme for 2023!
Aimed at supporting Manx cyclists with their sporting endeavours and goals, the Cycle 360 Supported Athlete programme is set up to give back to the community by arming talented athletes with world-class equipment, education and financial support.
Cycle 360 hopes that its programme can foster a community of sports men and women that inspire others to get cycling. All while also supporting the local Isle of Man cycling calendar at performance level. The programme launch will assist in achieving Cycle 360’s core mission: to introduce more people to the freedom of cycling!
All cyclists involved in the programme have fundamental roots to the Isle of Man, and will be regularly attending local races from road events, xc mountain biking, time trial and enduro.
The Cycle 360 Supported Athletes announced for the 2023 season are:
- Mike Chatel: an enduro rider. Mike has ambitions to gain his PB performance in local enduro and downhill races this year. He also wants to make his mark in the local road racing scene and at all local cross-country mountain biking events.
- Sacha Horsthuis: a cross-country mountain biker. Sacha has ambitions to compete in the UK British Cycling National rounds this year and hopes to represent the Isle of Man at the upcoming Island Games in July.
- Brad Woodruffe: an ultra-distance endurance cyclist. Brad has ambitions to complete various events on and off Island, including racing 1500km through Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.
- Mark Horsthuis: a road cyclist and cross-country mountain biker competing locally and nationally also with CC IOM. Mark’s ambitions are to be a top five finisher in all local events in road and mountain biking, as well as represent the Isle of Man at the Island Games this July.
- Elliot Baxter: a former British Champion and World Cup cross-country mountain biker. Elliot’s ambitions are to compete in and lead the mountain biking team at Guernsey’s Island Games this year.
- Isaac Batty: a 15 year-old with a tonne of incredible accolades already, including: Enduro Manx Champion, Downhill Series Winner 2022, PMBA’s U18 Series Champion 2022 and British Champion 2021. Isaac’s ambitions, alongside school, are to continue competing at the highest level for his age category.
The 2023 Supported Athletes selected are competitive riders across multiple disciplines of cycling, all with clear goals set for the upcoming season. Importantly, riders on the programme have a demonstrable passion for inspiring other people to ride a bike, are personable and approachable within the sport. Other considerations in the selection process included whether riders are frequent, engaged users of social media or potential leaders within the cycling community.
The programme sees all riders involved receive a number of gifts from the brand including Cycle 360-branded cycling kit, attractive discounts, free servicing and bike maintenance, plus generous financial support for the year.
Cycle 360’s continued investment into Isle of Man cycling
Cycle 360 is passionate about the future of cycling, this is why the Cycle 360 MTB Series was set up by an internal team of volunteers in 2020. A mass-start cross-country mountain biking race series set in the Island’s plantations, its run in partnership with local cycling club, Manx Viking Wheelers and run in line with British Cycling standards.
As well as its own mountain biking series, Cycle 360 headline sponsors the Cycle 360 Two-Day Enduro and works with MTB Enduro Club to put on a memorable weekend in July every year, for gnarly riders, attracting mountain bikers from all over the UK to participate.
Not stopping there, Cycle 360 is the cycling partner of the largest-mass participation event on the Isle of Man, the IOM Gran Fondo as well as the Isle of Man Lighthouses Challenge. The team thrive off working with like-minded and enthusiastic people to deliver unforgettable cycling events that target the whole family.
Cycle 360’s Coffee Club also launched last year to encourage cyclists to meet in a friendly and social way every month, for a one-hour ride on the road. All rides start and finish at Cycle 360 where riders are gifted with a free hot drink in a reserved area on the comfy sofas post-ride.